Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Finding my Voice

Yes, I sing, but no, that's not what I was talking about.

Nor was I referencing "Voice" as used by Karen Marie Moning, though that would be ten kinds of absolute awesome unless my target had a steel plate in their head!

No, I was talking about my "writing voice". You know, the wording that distinguishes writers.

For an example of "writing voice", thinking about how people talk. Your cousins don't talk the same nor do they entirely talk about the same things. Close your eyes and listen to conversations around you. Ignoring the actual voices, focus on the words, themselves.

Now put that on paper.

That's a "writing voice".

I've been reading tons and tons about how to establish your writing voice.



Unfortunately, the answers tend to "practice". Gar. While true, it's rough. I'm an impatient person, by nature. So here's what I've been trying to do to really focus on the concept..........










Firstly:

1. Listening to myself

Uh, duh? 

No, really. I like my conversations. I just have difficulty putting them into my stories. So I write down things I say or that my friends say or both. That way I have stuff to pull from when I'm needing a little extra help.









2. I relax.

www.static.twoday.net/pimel/images/relax.jpg
Seriously? ANOTHER obvious suggestion?

Oftentimes, the obvious is the best answer. Occam's Razer and all that. Taking a break and not thinking about "writing" the story helps a lot. What would I actually say? Sometimes, I even act it out, myself, before I even write anything.











http://hasnitahata24.blogspot.com/2012/01/friends-are-everywhere.html
3. I listen to my friends

Didn't you say that, already?

No, no. I meant I listen to their advice. Which, generally, is "Let the creative juices flow". Just write down whatever. It isn't like I can't re-write scenes later on. Fixing a problem in writing is a lot easier than it is in most other forms of art and entertainment. I have all the time in the world to review a scene later on. Sometimes, it's best just to write something and keep going, then fix it when you feel more "yourself".


I feel I should add a quick note that, in the end, more writing is the only true way to improve one's writing, in any form. So practice, practice, practice!! But this helps me because I'm a massive critic of myself. Otherwise, I'd never get in practice, I'd just spend my time bonking myself on the head with a wooden board, chanting
"Pie lesu domine
Dona eis requiem"
like the monks in Monty Python's The Holy Grail.



For those of you already successfully writing: I'd love more advice!!

For those of you who have the same problem: I hope this helps! And maybe we can work together to make it work better!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to think! Please remember your manners and I'll try to do the same. ;)